The RECOVER, REBUILD, RENEW project supported by The National Lottery Community Fund is currently addressing the impacts of the COVID 19 lockdowns on children and families. Womens’ Centre Derry is communicating daily with mums as well as delivering activities on-line during lockdown and in small groups in-centre when possible. The project also helps mums with childcare. The RRR project enabled us to respond quickly to the needs of parents and children throughout the lock-down periods. As we emerge for the pandemic the programme activities are helping families to deal with the uncertainty, fear, stress and trauma – the legacy of the COVID 19 crisis.
Project Support and Activities
1. Drop in and on-line listening ear support services.
2. Centre based and on-line help with children’s development.
3. Support for mums to help them cope with the anxieties about babies and children meeting their developmental milestones alongside catch up activities for babies.
4. Programmes to deal with the trauma and mental health consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic.
5. Childcare/creche places while mums are engaging in well-being activities and mental health support
6. Parenting support on topics such as behaviour, sleep, communication, toilet training.
7. Play boxes and parent support packs.